Vice-Dean (Faculty of Education) (EKE341/2509) in Bloemfontein
R900 000 – R1029 000 per annum plus dean allowance and diverse allowance
(contract appointment: 5 years – renewable)
Duties and responsibilities:
- Strive for excellence in all aspects of the core business of the Faculty, but with specific reference to teaching and learning, including quality assurance;
- Take co-responsibility with the Dean to provide effective and appropriate academic direction and to develop and implement the strategic mission of the Faculty within the broader University context;
- Take co-responsibility with the Dean to ensure maintenance of all academic standards for undergraduate and postgraduate programmes in the Faculty;
- Take co-responsibility with the Dean in developing and maintaining a robust quality assurance regime for teaching and learning in the faculty;
- Take co-responsibility with the Dean in the management of student-related matters;
- Provide oversight and responsibility for the Teaching Practice (Work Integrated Learning) Unit;
- Provide leadership on the quality assurance of the respective programme offerings on different sites, and the need to shift from competition to collaboration, coherence and regulation;
- Provide research driven leadership in the faculty in relation to teaching and learning.
- Participate in teaching, research, and engaged scholarship;
- Participate in committees both at faculty and university level;
- Act as Dean and report to the Vice-Rectors and Rector when the Dean is absent.
- A PhD in a relevant field of Education.
- Appointment at a rank of Associate Professor or Professor.
- Five (5) years relevant experience with at least three years (3) years of leadership and/or management experience in a higher education environment.
- Superior knowledge of research on teaching and learning; student support; and/or teaching practice
- Track record of sustained commitment with a focus on teaching and learning.
- Experience as a supervisor for postgraduate students.
Term of office: Five (5) years, with a possibility of renewal for another term.
- Established leadership and team-building capacity.
- Demonstrated ability to negotiate, collaborate, communicate and facilitate in complex environments.
- Maintain sound relationships and forge collegiality in the Faculty.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Proven academic stature and research record.
Closing date: 18 October 2018.
Please Apply Online and quote EKE341/2509 in the subject line