Professor and Academic Head of Department: Geology (EKE343/2469)
R1029 000 per annum plus annual allowance
5 year term renewable
Duties and responsibilities:
- Manage and lead the Department of Geology and its physical and human resources to ensure excellence in teaching, research and community service according to University policies, national and international best practice.
- Demonstrable prior management and leadership experience obtained at an institution of higher learning, science council or cognate organisation at a level commensurate with the position being applied for.
- Provide academic leadership by creating and executing strategies to establish the department as a leader in the discipline vis-à-vis competing international entities.
- Responsible for frequent and continuous planning and execution of plans, general organising and coordinating of staff, students and activities, mentoring and motivating staff, structuring, and exercising overall control.
- Proper and quality-driven academic advice and support to all under-and-postgraduate students in the department;
- Responsible for the ultimate responsibility in terms of financial management which culminates:
- Annual budgeting; Financial planning; Allocation of funds; and Financial control.
- Adherence to the financial policies and procedures.
- PhD degree in a relevant field of specialisation.
- Proven experience in the delivery of poster or oral presentations at conferences or equivalent activities.
- A proven research record of relevant publications in national and international accredited journals.
- Evidence of having the ability to obtain and manage research funding.
- Experience as external examiner for masters’ and doctoral students.
- Act as editorial board member of high-quality international journals.
- Proven international recognition for specialist expertise and research leadership in a particular area of academic scholarship.
- An NRF rating of C1 or C2 or equivalent status.
- Demonstrated successful supervision of graduated master's and preferably graduated doctoral students.
- Proven experience in delivering keynote addresses at national scholarly conferences.
- Serve as a member of an international scholarly society
- Registration as professional natural scientist with the South African Council for Natural Scientific Professions or equivalent status.
- Prior experience obtained in both industry and academia.
- A formal qualification in management and/or leadership at NQF level 7 or higher.
Assumption of duties: 1 January 2019.
Closing date: 18 October 2018.
Please Apply Online and quote EKE343/2469 in the subject line